On Thursday, July 19, 1979, future major-leaguer Rick Ankiel was born, and the Cincinnati Reds arrived in St. Louis following the all-star break where 27,228 fans settled in at Busch Memorial Stadium to watch the two all-star-laden teams resume the second half of the season. I was there with my dad for my first major league baseball game.

It was the summer after third grade, and I was eight years old. I now knew my multiplication tables and how to write in cursive, but no educational environment could have prepared me for what going to a major league stadium with my dad would do to my soul. It was the highlight of my life at the time, and forty-one years later, it remains pretty close to the top.

My dad never missed work at the meat-packing plant, but he did that summer day. We didn’t have enough money for a hotel, so we boarded a Great Southern Coaches bus in the early morning darkness for a twenty-four-hour adventure, rode the two-hundred miles north, and spent the afternoon using public buses to check out the zoo and marvel at the majesty of the Gateway Arch. But that evening, cliché notwithstanding, I walked through the left-field tunnel into the open air of the stadium and felt as if I had entered heaven.

Lou Brock had turned forty a month before and was in the final season of a remarkable career. He still hit over .300 that season, and in a stroke of good luck, our seats were right behind him. Two months later, the Redbirds would go ahead and retire his #20 jersey, making him only the fourth Cardinal at the time to receive such an honor—joining legends Dizzy Dean, Bob Gibson, and Stan Musial. The speedy Brock finished his career in the 3,000 hit club and as the all-time leader in stolen bases (and decades later he has only slid into second place).

Lou went 3-5 that night, knocking in three runs along the way. He also caught a couple of fly balls that evening under my eager eye, and somewhere along the way, little eight-year-old me held the family camera and snapped a fuzzy picture of the future hall-of-famer as he patrolled left field.

Lou Brock died yesterday at the age of eighty-one. One of his famous legs was amputated five years ago, and he battled blood cancer for the past several. His storied life is over now, which makes me sad. But it also makes me remember.

My wife bought me a couple of stadium seats from that old version of Busch Stadium a few years ago now, and they sit on our back patio. Sitting in those seats reminds me of July 19, 1979, when I was eight years old and sitting with my dad in a veritable heaven watching Lou Brock play baseball.  I’m glad to imagine Lou suiting up on the other side of life now, and I like to imagine that my dad is saving me a seat.

5 responses to “Lou

  1. sandywallis61@yahoo.com

    Love, love, love this.❤️

    Sent from my iPhone


    Liked by 1 person

  2. A beautiful story! Thank you for sharing. 😊

    Liked by 1 person

  3. Great story…. I had an uncle that was such a Cardinal fan…and Van has a baseball signed by Lou….

    Liked by 1 person

  4. Al
    Well, that post takes me back! I grew up in Northwest Arkansas in the 50s and 60s and, when it came to baseball, the Cardinals ruled. I don’t remember getting to go to a game in St Louis, but I remember many an early summer evening sitting in a swing under some shade trees, eating a bowl of homemade ice cream, and listening to Harry Caray call the game on the radio and hoping that “Stan the Man” would crush another one into the left field seats – “Holy Cow, what a play!”

    Sad note: Many years later, my Mom found a shoe box containing all my ‘50s era baseball cards in a closet at home. She decided that, if I had wanted them, I would have taken them by then – so she sold them at a yard sale. Lesson learned.

    Liked by 1 person

  5. Al, thank you for those memories. They closely parallel mine. As a young boy growing up in West Tennessee baseball was a slice of heaven to me as well and the Cardinals were at the center of it. I have been truly blessed over the years to see many games in St. Louis over the years since first going in 1966. “Lou” has always been one of my favorites and our family got the incredible opportunity to see, hear and meet him in person several years ago at FHU. I remember not only feeling in awe of being in in his presence, but even more impressed by the gentleman he was as rather than rush folks through the “photo op” he took the time to converse and visit. I came away convinced that he was one of the best—ball player and even more importantly HUMAN BEING! Everything I have seen and heard since them confirms that. Rest In Peace “LOU”!

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s